Thursday 28 November 2013

The Best of All Possible Worlds

I have planned to write a comic strip for years. Decades. I've scripted a few. Sometimes, I've even got as far as drawing a few pages. But, for one reason or another, they never got finished.

Entirely Possible began on 12th July, 2013. Installments have gone live every week since then (with only a one week chapter break), every Friday*, without fail. At this time, there is no end scheduled.

I don't think I fully understood the implications of this when I began.

Design Prototypes from 2010
Usually, when I take on a new writing gig, there's a deadline and a definite point where I can stand back and say, "There. It's finished."  From the moment I get the first inkling on whatever the story might be about, through getting the nod from the editor to write it, until the final email back from them to say, "Yep, you're done," a part of my brain is running all the possibilities of the potential story.

Most days that buzz in the back of my brain is invigorating. On some days, it can be like a bluebottle repeatedly crashing its head into the double-glazing. It is a constant process that can both nourish and deplete the soul.

When the story is finished, the buzzing stops and a calm is restored. Then, after a while, I start to miss it. For good or bad; I need to get the buzz back.

Entirely Possible was my solution to this. Or so I thought.

"Set up a blog, set a rolling deadline, map out some loose breakdowns for the first few pages and go!"

A narrative powered by raw necessity. My train of thought departed for no fixed destination!

Now, it doesn't stop. The buzzing. Queenie needs things to say. Theo needs things to do. Before you know it, it's Friday again. People want to know what's in the box! Go! Go! Go!

On the hoof and off the cuff; Entirely Possible's style and flow is being dictated by its process.

Whenever I'd started creating comic strips in the past, it meant having to be at home, for long stretches of time with paper pencils and ink. Technology has done away with this requirement. Entirely Possible is created on a 7" Kindle Fire with a couple-of-quid app (Sketch Book Pro Mobile) and a half decent stylus. The strip could not exist without this technology.

I work two jobs. I have a wife, a five year old son and a two year old daughter. There is just no room in my schedule to fit sitting at a desk with pencils, paper and ink for protracted periods of time for no pay. With my tablet, however, I can draw on my commute, or while sitting with the kids watching Abney & Teal or pretty much whenever I find I have five minutes free to do so.

The first chapter; The Train in Vain and the Junkmail Messiah, wrapped a couple of weeks ago. I have now bundled all those pages into a digital comic file (.cbz) which can now be downloaded from the 'Downloads' page on the Entirely Possible site. Reading the chapter in one go is a whole new experience.
The interface of a digital comic file is much smoother than reading it online. Do give it a go. (If you are new to reading digital comics, you'll need to download an app. Personally, I use Comikat on my Kindle Fire, Perfect Viewer on my Samsung mobile and Comic Rack on my desktop. There are loads of others. Check your app store or search online)

Entirely Possible has readers not only in the UK, the US and Australia; but also in places I hadn't expected, like China, Russia, Egypt and many more besides. This is extremely gratifying. What is equally gratifying is the fact I have been getting feedback from readers who aren't your traditional comic-book fan. Theo and Queenie's adventures, whilst somewhat strange, are pitched for a broad appeal. So far, I seem to be setting the right tone.

If you're enjoying the strip, please share it. If you want more Theo P, please visit my 'Published Work' page and purchase some of his prose appearances. I have plans. If I can steadily increase the audience, I can justify spending more time on bringing these plans to fruition.

Quick! Run! You'll miss the train!

b

x


(*PS. For technical and logistical reasons, the strip now goes live on Wednesdays @ 1700, GMT - The Hump of the Week will never been same again!)














No comments:

Post a Comment